What Are People Talking about

Thursday, March 27, 2008

I Thought My Soul Would Rise and Fly by Joyce Hansen



I Thought My Soul Would Rise and Fly by Joyce Hansen


The title of the book I finished is called I Thought My Soul Would Rise and Fly. It was written by Joyce Hansen. I liked this book because it was all about slavery and how hard it was and it was very detailed with all the struggles the black's had to go through. I usually read horror books, so this book is kind of different for me. This book was set in the past in South Carolina.

The main character is Patsy. She wants all salves to be freed. This is a real conflict for her because she is only a teenager and there is not much she could do. The problem makes her feel so sad inside. Her mother and sisters really want to help too.

While I was reading this book, I was reminded of history class and how we learned about slavery and what was the effect of it. I noticed the author's skill when she used Patsy's words in a diary. I thought that was very smart because teenage girls have diary's and the diary helps her tell how much she thinks slavery is bad. I had to wonder what other things the slaves did besides just work and clean. In fact I felt pity for all the blacks in this book.

I think this book is great to read because it will give you more of an idea what children slaves had to do. So next time you see this book at the store or the library, pick it up and give it a try. Because I sure am glad I did. (:

On a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best) I give this book a rating of : ?

This book is available Oak View Media Center?

Reviewed by
Jenna D1P3

No comments: